Friday, October 2, 2009

Getting close to the Mahatma - on his 140th birth anniversary


As India celebrated 140 years Friday since the birth of Mahatma Gandhi, hundreds of children and adults flocked to various sites associated with him to remember the man whose message of non-violence and peace is still relevant -- even in these frenetic times.
For the not-so-young, this was a day of solemn introspection perhaps, and for the young, a chance to get a closer glimpse into the man they have read about in textbooks.
Shubham, 11,lives next to my apartment, couldn't contain his excitement when he saw a Parker pen used by the father of the nation.
'I also use a Parker pen and he also used it. I am going to tell all my friends that Gandhiji used the same pen. Wow, I will be popular,' said as he saw pictures of Gandhi Museum at Gandhi memorial complex on the ring road in central Delhi.. It is near the Gandhi memorial Rajghat where VVIPs and common people came in droves to pay homage to the apostle of peace.
The museum, which has five galleries, showcases a range of Gandhi memorabilia -- his notebook, letters, spectacles, the utensils he used as well as the clothes he was wearing when he was assassinated on Jan 30, 1948. The bullet that was used is also on display.
I have read about him, (but not much)about Gandhi leading a peaceful struggle for India's freedom. 'But after seeing all those pictures, i realised we actually did not know much. I am happy I saw those pictures of museum on news channel too.'
44-year-old Murali Khanna says that... 'I had come here 10 years ago. This is my second visit. I am a Gandhian and I believe in peace and harmony,.
When asked what he was writing, the businessmen, who runs a handicraft store in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, just smiled.
'I am going to spread the message of Gandhiji to the people I will come in contact with. Someone has to carry his message forward. Even today, he is so relevant.'
Toledo, who did not give his second name and had come all the way from Spain to pay homage, said Gandhi was one of the greatest figures of history.
'When I think of Gandhi, I think of freedom and peace. He is a great historical figure... But very few individuals know about him,' he added.
Kiran Saini,a teacher by proffesion, said children showed maximum interest in Gandhi and his teachings(in todays news paper).

There were some who said Gandhi's message had been forgotten.
Like Murali Srivastava, the managing director of an automobile company, who said: 'He has just become a face on the wall. No one believes in his teachings or philosophy.'
Is it really true...think about it...
HAPPY GANDHI JAYANTI
NITIKA DARMOLI
pgdm-sec-B, 3rd sem

No comments:

Post a Comment